Workshops & Master Classes
During the year, our Piano Division will schedule special workshops on specific subjects to enhance and expand student understanding and growth. Clinicians from our own faculty and from local colleges or the professional music community will visit and give students input on their playing or on special piano-related topics. Former events have included:
- Master classes where local pianists and teachers listen to our students play and offer them supportive and encouraging input.
- Special presentations on styles, historical musical periods and various composers or genres.
- Concerts by faculty or area pianists to expose the students and families to the joy of hearing live music
Beyond the basic notes and the rhythm there is a colorful world of musical dynamics, phrasing, style, emotion and more. You are never too young or inexperienced to start learning these as well!
- Music Theory and Composition Classes have been offered online and in person for those who wish to receive added skills and knowledge.
- Music Fun Classes are offered to younger students where they are exposed to the basics of music in a play-oriented style.
- Studio Performance Classes are offered to our students three or more times during the year, in which students perform for their teacher and each other in a supportive, encouraging atmosphere. Students learn the basics of performing practices, are exposed to more musical repertoire and enjoy interacting with other students.
Some students love to perform and others don’t. We gently encourage our students to participate in one or more of our performing events and help prepare them well.
- Studio Recitals: we host formal recitals for our students at a space with a grand piano: once in November and once in late May/early June. A majority of our students enjoy showing family and friends what they have accomplished in their lessons!
- Seasonal Performances: we have a Holiday Concert in December each year at a local venue and occasionally, also have a Summer Concert too.
- Community Performances: local retirement centers welcome our students to perform for their residents and students enjoy entertaining them. We also perform at other community gatherings.