Workshops & Masterclasses
During the year, our Strings Division schedules workshops on specific subjects to enhance and expand student understanding and growth. Clinicians from our own faculty and from local colleges or the professional music community visit and give students input on their playing or on special piano-related topics. Former events have included:
- Masterclasses where local performers and teachers listen to our students play and offer them supportive and encouraging input.
- Special presentations on styles, historical musical periods and various composers or genres.
- Concerts by faculty or area strings players to expose the students and families to the joy of hearing live music
We emphasize a strong technical foundation for our strings students and enhance that with group and small ensemble playing whenever possible.
- Music Theory and Composition Classes have been offered online and in person for those who wish to receive added skills and knowledge.
- Group Strings Classes are held to supplement lessons and to encourage students to play with others prior to and in addition to school orchestras.
- Studio Performance Classes are offered to our students three or four times during the year, in which students perform for their teacher and each other in a supportive, encouraging atmosphere. Students learn the basics of performing practices, are exposed to more musical repertoire and enjoy interacting with other students.
Some students love to perform and others don’t. We gently encourage our students to participate in one or more of our performing events and help prepare them well so that it is a fun and positive experience.
- Studio Recitals: we host formal recitals for our students at a space with a grand piano: once in November and once in late May/early June. Many of our students enjoy showing family and friends what they have accomplished in their lessons.
- Seasonal Performances: we have a Holiday Concert in December each year at a local venue and occasionally also have a Summer Concert.
- Community Performances: local retirement centers welcome our students to perform for their residents and students enjoy entertaining them. We also perform at other scheduled community gatherings.